Tuesday, May 15, 2018

ArtJog 11: Enlightenment




Hi! It is such a long time since I wrote about a trip I make to exhibitions.
Last weekend, on Sunday morning 6th May to be exact, Me and Rangga went to Jogja National Museum to see ArtJog 11 Enlightenment. It was the third day of the event, it is open from 4th May to 4th June. So, spend some of your time and a little amount of pocket money to see this annual art event.

I woke up early and get ready while waiting for Rangga. We went to eat my favorite Sate Kambing Muda in Batas Kota near PASTY before heading out. I will create another post about this place, and you have to visit this restaurant. It is recommended!

First time I went to ArtJog was in 2015, so it is my third year. I always enjoy myself while going to this event, my inner child is tremendously happy. I love something pretty, beautiful, and extravagantly strange in a good way since I was a kid. I feel energized when I see artworks and understand how the artists put their time and mind into it. It is like having a child (I guess, not human child, but you know the feeling when you creating something and it is already alive?).


My favorite artwork will be the commision work for this year ArtJog by Mang Moel, Sea Remembers: About The Invisible Ones and The Ones That Escape From Our Sight.

The work is made by 70 artisans who knits all the yarn and combine all the pieces into a giant underwater world. When you see this work, you will be fascinating by effort to create such world, mysterious and radiant at the same time. Underwater full of mystery and beauty, it is like what we are. The are deep riddle that lies within oneself. That is what I perceived from this artwork. Sea remembers, it does, like our memory of loved ones, like our memory of sad event, like our memory of happy day, sea was like our mind. There are a lot of things unseen, or hidden by purpose. No one knows.

intermezzo. jajaja
There are other artworks that have been my favorite for this past years, the one by Syagini Ratna Wulan. I knew about her when I saw her 100 white lockers in Biennale 2013. I saw her artworks as well on Artjog 10, and I love how she play with lights and colors. Like what she present on this year ArtJog, lights and colors. Lights and colors can be perceived by each person differently, it is the matter of our perspective. There is one room painted all green by Hiromi Tango called Healing Garden, this green room reminded me of Eko Nugroho works for Biennale 2013, you can see my post about it here.

One of artworks that drew my attention is Everlost by Fajar Abadi, a winner of Young Artist Award for ArtJog 11. It is a boxing sack filled with snacks. The competition of snacks industry in Indonesia is quite big, people try to develop the most innovated snacks, you can find a rainbow variant of snacks all over the country. I like the colors of this work and how it portrayed the highly competitive snack industries.


I suggest you to go to ArtJog on workdays, after lunch or in the morning, since the place will not be too pack with people. When there are too many people, you will get distracted a lot, and people will take sooooo many pictures in front of the artworks. Maybe, it is just me, because I do not feel comfortable when there are too many people around. Crowded places makes my head dizzy. People even will queue in certain artworks which considered popular on social media, so it will be hard for you to read the concept and enjoy it.

I am looking forward for next year ArtJog!

Ticket: Rp 50,000 (you get coupon that you can redeem in Potentiarte for a Winsor&Newton brush!)
Website: http://www.artjog.co.id
Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/9qbygDcqrKw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Hutan Indonesia, Mengambil bagian untuk Melestarikan

Bulan Agustus tidak hanya bulan bersejarah bagi kemerdekaan Indonesia tapi ada hari penting yang patut diingat, digaungkan, dan juga diberit...